Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Friends, Books and Good Food.... is there anything better?

I am honored to let the HA readers know that a friend of mine at Penguin Publishing asked me if I would review upcoming health and wellness books before they are released. Of course, you all know me and how much I love to read and cook, so my answer was an immediate YES! Plus, an added benefit is all my readers will get the first scoop.



I just received The Book Club Cook Book and I must say this is an awesome idea! Judy Gelman and Vicki Levy Krupp included select recipes inspired from many top selling novels around the county. Each novel is paired with a dish that reflects the essence of the book. Flip through to find your favorite novel and indulge in your taste.

My favorite has to be, Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand.  To reflect the main character of this book the recipe for Pumpkin Biscuits was chosen. I got the biscuit part but I was a little confused by the pumpkin. After reading a little further I realized the former cow pony that was housed with Seabiscuit to keep him company was named Pumpkin. How cute!

The book has recipes from fruit salad to teriyaki beef skewers. My two favorites recipe selections from the book are Girl with the Pearl Earring's vegetable soup (vegetarian version) and The Devil Wears Prada's Sun Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Pizza. Of course I chose these because they are healthy...haha! But they really go well with the book they are partnered with so its a win win!

Pros
  • If you have a book club, or are thinking of starting one, this cook book is a must have!
  • I love the idea of making a dish that is inspired by the story you are reading and then sharing it with friends.
  • All the recipes are made from scratch.
  • Such a perfect gift for a friend or loved one.
Cons
  • Not all of the recipes are considerably healthy, but atleast if you feel the need to indugle these recipes are a good choice as they do not include processed foods.
  • There is an 8 page visual containing full color photos of the recipes, and I wish there were more.

This book goes on sale March 1st so mark your calendars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...