- Roast Peppers (cut off the 4 sides of a pepper and place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with alumium foil. Broil for 10 minutes then immediately place in a large zip lock bag for 20 minutes. Once the peppers are cooled, and the skins have been easily removed, slice the peppers into long strips, and toss them with a bit of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. These will become your “spicy tuna” slices!
- Prepare your sushi “rice.” The recipe called for Jicama but I choose to use a Turnip which turned out great! Simply peel it, chop it, and pulse it in a food processor. Then transfer to a thin towel, and squeeze all the moisture out.
- Thinnly slice your choice of vegetable fillings- I used cucumber, carrots and avocado– but you can use whatever you like.
- Now its time to roll. Using Toasted Nori make sure the lines are vertical when you place them on your sushi rolling mat. Then add your rice, filling the bottom third of the sheet.Followed by your sliced veggies of choice and "tuna", keeping them in the middle of the rice.
- Now begin to roll, starting from the bottom edge where your rice and veggies are, and tightly roll away from yourself, making sure the edges get tucked evenly into the roll. Roll the nori into a long cigar-like shape, leaving a bit of an edge at the end.Then dip your finger in water, to moisten the end, and roll up the rest! The moistened edge will help “seal” the roll.
- Using a very sharp knife, gently cut the roll into 8 even pieces.
Massaged Kale Salad- quick mix of avocado, fresh ginger and garlic, Nama Shoyu (soy sauce), lemon juice, and scallions, then massaged it all in so that the kale would wilt a bit.