Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Monday, November 22, 2010
1 cup of Florida's Crystals Natural or Organic Sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
Oil from 1 vitamin E capsule
1 or 2 drops of essential oil, lavender or orange
1 16-oz glass container with lid
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended. Using a spatula transfer into the container and secure lid. Contents will settle. Mix before using. Scoop a teaspoon or two of the scrub on your hands and gently massage in a circular motion onto wet skin. Leave on for 3-4 minutes before thoroughly rinsing with warm water. The scrub will tighten your skin.
Thursday, November 18, 2010
But don't panic as the US tends to use the terms "yam" and "sweet potato" interchangeably and the odds are that anything you bought from an American market was probably from the sweet potato family. To find a true yam you'll probably have to go to an international market that carries a lot of African or Caribbean foods. True Yams are quite larger than sweet potatoes and can be up to the length of someones arm, as they are usually cut into smaller chunks.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Monday, November 15, 2010
Health Magazine November 2010
Friday, November 12, 2010
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with nonstick foil. Pulse first 4 ingredients in a food processor. Add oil and pulse until crumbly. With machine running slowly pour water through feed tube just until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to floured cutting board; divide in half and let rest for 10 minutes. With floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece into a 7x9 inch rectangle. Cut dough lengthwise into 14, 1/2" strips. Brush with egg whites and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese. Working with one strip at a time, twist and place lengthwise on 1 baking sheet. Repeat.
- Bake until golden brown, 18-20 mins. Let cool. Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to 1 week.
Per Serving (2 breadsticks): 83 calories, 3g Fat, 11g Carb, 0g Fiber, 3g Protein.
WeightWatchers Magazine Nov-Dec 2010
- Cook linguini and drain. Combine next 5 ingredients in a large serving bowl and add pasta. Toss well and then sprinkle in salt and pepper. Toss in parmesan to taste.
- Serves 6
Lemon Meringue Cake Ingredients
2c cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1c + 2 TB fat free milk
3/4c + 4TB sugar
1/2c + 2TB fat-free egg substitute
1/4c canola oil
5 large egg whites
6 TB prepared lemon curd (I used a little extra)
4 large egg whites at room tempature
1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 9" round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line bottoms with parchment or way paper and spray paper with nonstick spray.
- To make cake, combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Wisk milk, 3/4c sugar, egg substitute, and oil in a large bowl. Wisk in the flour mixture just until blended.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg white in another large bowl, until soft peaks form. Add remaining 4 TB of sugar, 1 TB at a time, beating until firm peaks form. With rubber spatula, gently fold beaten egg whites into flour mixture until no streaks of white remain.
- Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of each layer comes out clean 30-35 mins. Run knife around each layer to loosen it from pan. Invert each layer onto rack. Remove parchment paper and let cool completely.
- With long serrated knife, split each layer in half to make a total of 4 layers (*great trick is to use dental floss instead of a knife). Arrange 3 layers cut side up on work surface and spread 2TB of lemon curd on each layer. Place 1 layer cut side up on a serving plate. Top with two more layers filling side up. Cover with remaining cake layer cut side down. If making ahead, wrap cake tightly in plastic wrap and then foil, and freeze up to 1 month. Let thaw in frig overnight.
- To make frosting, whisk egg whites and sugar in large metal bowl of eletric stand mixer. Set bowl in large saucepan over 1" simmering water. Cook, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot 5-7 mins. Transfer bowl to mixer, add vanilla extract and with whisk attachment on med-high speed, beat until stiff glossy peaks form and mixture is completely cool, 5-7 mins. Spread frosting at once over top and sides of cake.
- To add pizzazz, ignite a hand held torch as directed. Move the flame continuously in small circles over the frosting until it lightly browned.
Per serving (1/16 of cake) 230 cal, 4g fat, 0g fiber, 5g protein, 44g carbs.
Weight Watchers Nov-Dec 2010 magazine
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
- Set A Budget- Determine how much you are going to eat before you head out to the restaurant. Remember you can be a little lenient just add some activity or a brisk walk to your day. Also remember to be flexible on special occasions and enjoy life, just make sure you eat carefully most of the time.
- Put On Your Game Face- Determine guidelines- such as skipping the pre-set 5 meal menu special and order al carte menu items. Take one piece of bread and then ask the waiter to remove the basket.
- Make Special Request-Hold the cheese, sauce or dressing on the side, substitute a side salad or veggies for the french fries etc.
- Practice Portion Control- Ask for a to go box when the meal arrives and put away half your meal before you start eating (save for lunch or dinner tomorrow). Order a salad first and share and entree with a friend or just order a few appetizers instead of an entire entree.
- Break Down (Language) Barriers- If you don't know ask!? These words tend to mean high fat , high calories dishes- Au gratin, hollandaise, fried, sauteed, scalloped, bolognese, scampi, parmigiana etc.
- Downsize The Super Size- Order a children's meal or a smaller meal like a basic burger. After the first few bites it all starts to taste the same.
- Watch Out For Extras- such as cheese, bacon, mayo, double patties, bread, etc.
- Don't Go Top Heavy- Extra toppings on your salad can sabotage your efforts. Go light on croutons, cheese, bacon and dressing.
- Don't Drink Away Your Progress- Drinking with the meal is fine but too many margaritas may wreck havoc on your diet. Remember to alternate each drink with water.
- Resign From The "Clean Plate Club"- remember it takes 20 minutes for your body to feel full.