Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How to stay healthy while traveling

I travel a lot with work and its definitly a challenge to keep up my healthy routine. Here are a few travel tips that work for me.


1. Choose whole foods closest to their natural state (fruits, vegs, lean meats, eggs, whole grains etc)

2. Look for food with 5 ingredients or less (you can usually find pumpkin seeds at a gas station and they are a great snack)

3. I pack oatmeal preportioned in Ziploc bags with sliced almonds, date sugar, and raisins then add hot water from my coffee maker in the hotel room.
4. If you eat at the hotel for breakfast load up on fruit, and choose oatmeal or egg omelets with tons of veggies. Just ask the chef to cook it dry without oil or butter.

5. Snacks- I pack apples when I travel and trail mix but I also look for a local whole foods and try to pick up some items for my hotel room.

6. Lunch/Dinner- are more challenging but panera has great soups and salads, sushi, subway, grocery store salad bars, naked tacos/naked burittos at chipotle are great (organic too)

7. Drinks- I pack a glass water bottle to refill throughout the trip and pack a bottle of liquid stevia. A few drops sweeten anything (ice tea,coffee, hot tea etc) and it fits right in your laptop bag.

8. Use the pool or the hotel gym if you can. Last resort you can pack resistant bands.

**I have also been known to pack a jar of natural peanut butter and a loaf of bread but I didn't want you to think I was too crazy :)

As you can see its all about PLANNING! Map the location of your hotel and check ahead of time for local healthy vegetarian restaurants, a whole foods etc. Also pack as much as you can! I ususally pack breakfast and lunch, not only does it save money but also helps keep me on track.

What are your healthy travel tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...