Prep: 15 mins, Cook: 10 mins, Makes 4 servings
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of salt, divided
- 2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed (about 40)
- 1 tablespoon extra- virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- Break the eggs into 8 individual containers (teacups, prep bowls or paper plates). Fill a large low sided pan with water, add vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil over med- high heat
- Meanwhile bring a separate pot of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over med-high heat. Add asparagus spears and cook 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove asparagus with tongs and set aside.
- Dry the medium saucepan. Add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Turn off heat ; add butter and swirl pan. Add lemon juice, parsley, remaining salt and pepper; swirl pan again to combine. Add asparagus and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan; then toss with lemon butter to coat.
- Slowly pour each egg into the boiling poaching water; cook 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove pan from the burner. Divide asparagus among the 4 plates (bring plates close to pan with poached eggs, and place a folded clean kitchen town next to plates)
- Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon, 1 at a time, blotting bottom of the spoon on towel to absorb excess moisture. Place 2 eggs on each mound of asparagus. Pour any remaining sauce over each service and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan. Serve immediately. (serving size 10 asparagus and 2 eggs)
Calories 256, Fat 18g, Protein 18g, Carbohydrate 8g, Fiber 3g, Sodium 518mg, Calcium 147mg
**To bulk up this recipe for only 100 additional calories, I placed the eggs on an English muffin (1 egg per half) and poured the remaining sauce over the eggs while stacking the asparagus on the side of the plate.