Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles
Prep 10 mins Cook 30 mins Serves 8
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup fat free egg substitute (I used egg beaters)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- Mix whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, egg substitute, brown sugar, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth, Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined (mixture will be lumpy).
- When waffle iron is hot ladle 1/2 cup batter onto surface until golden (3-5 mins). Repeat with remaining batter to make a total of 8 waffles.
- When waffles are cooled, divide between 2 large zip - close plastic freezer bags. Squeeze out air to seal bags. Freeze up to one month. To serve, transfer 1 frozen waffle to rack in preheated 350 degree oven or toaster oven. Bake until heated through, about 5 mins.
Weight Watchers Magazine September/ October 2010
Blueberry Syrup (I made this up so feel free to make adjustments as needed)
1 cup of blueberries
3/4 cup of sugar
A few squirts of lemon juice
- Wash blueberries and drain
- Mash with a potato masher
- Bring to a boil in a frying pan and then simmer for 5 mins
- Optional step- strain mixture (I left ours chunky)
- Add a few drops of lemon juice
- Add sugar and mix together
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for 1 minute
**Step 6 feel free to adjust the amount of sugar or use splenda. My husband has a sweet tooth :)