Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Baked Salmon and Carmelized Figs



My husband and I choose to buy all of our local meat from a farm where we know the farmers and can see how the animals are raised. When we moved, we knew we were leaving behind our beloved Springfield Farm and decided it was worth the drive if we couldn't find another place to go. We asked around and checked out Local Harvest before we found an amazing local organic farm called Rumbleway.  This place is a new favorite as we have quickly become regulars! The best part is last time I went to the farm they had Salmon- I am not a huge fish lover (yet) but decided it was something we had to try. 



For dinner we grabbed some veggies from the frig (cherry tomatoes from our CSA and asparagus), lined a tray with parchment paper, cut some fresh basil and topped with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. We rolled the parchment paper into a pouch a baked at 400 degrees for 15+ mins (time varies depending on thickness of the Salmon).

It turned out perfect and we had easy clean up too!


After dinner I laid down reading the latest copy of Whole Living Magazine and as soon as I read the new fig yogurt recipe I jumped up and ran outside. My little brother gave us a mission fig tree as a housewarming gift and I saw a few ripe ones on the tree this morning. I picked two and was back in the kitchen to make a 5 minute dessert that was heavenly.

Cut figs in half. Heat pan to medium, add a TB of honey and place figs cut side down. Wait 5 mins until they caramelize.

In the meantime pour yogurt in a bowl, top with a drizzle of honey, cinnamon and we opted for sliced almonds (you could also use pistachios or walnuts). Then add the cooked figs. That's it!! 

What are your favorite healthy meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...